Thursday, November 11, 2010

Broiled salmon with sauteed kale

Time to try out that lovely kale!  I've only had it before in restaurants so I was curious to try it at home.  I decided to make a sauteed kale mixture with marinated broiled salmon and brown rice.

I started with the salmon marinade - soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, celery seed and black pepper.  Since I was using a salmon fillet, I put the marinade in a bowl and put the salmon upside down in it, then put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes.  An hour would have been even better, but I did not have that much time.  Then I started the brown rice cooking because it takes about an hour, then took a break for a few minutes.  Then I started chopping the veggies - I decided to mix some arugula in as well so I chopped up a few kale leaves and some arugula.  I also chopped one anaheim chile (all seeds removed, so it really was not hot, almost like a green bell pepper), half a tomato, 1/4 large yellow onion, and a large garlic clove (I decided to dice it rather than mince).  I put the salmon fillet in the oven under the broiler for about 10-12 minutes, basting it once with the marinade about halfway through.  To cook up the greens, I added some butter and olive oil to a heated skillet, then sauteed the garlic and onions for a few minutes.  I seasoned it with salt, pepper, cumin and celery seed, then added the chopped anaheim chile and sauteed for a couple more minutes.  Then I added the tomato and sauteed for a couple more minutes, and finally added the kale and arugula, stirred it all together really well and let the mixture cook for a few more minutes.  To serve I added a splash of lemon juice and some black pepper.




For the picture I kept everything separate, but I ended up putting the kale mixture on top of the rice and eating it all together.  This was a pretty good meal, and hopefully mostly healthy, especially after eating quiche for a few days!  The kale was pretty tasty - now that I am cooking greens a lot, I've learned that the trick is not to cook it too much, or they turn mushy and tasteless.  If you just do a light saute for a couple of minutes, and add the right seasonings, you will bring out the great flavor of the greens, instead of cooking it all out.  Greens are SO good for you!  For example, 1/2 cup of chopped cooked kale (about what I ate last night) has only 18 calories and less than 1g of fat, but has 5% of your daily fiber, 175% of your daily Vitamin A, 45% of your daily Vitamin C, and (get this) 650% of your daily Vitamin K!

No comments:

Post a Comment