Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Twice baked turnip

This week I had the challenge of making something yummy out of the biggest turnip you ever saw.  It was roughly the size of a large cantaloupe!  Since you can basically do anything with a turnip that you can do with a potato, Nate had the idea of making a twice baked turnip.  First I cut off the root and stem and washed the turnip, then I put olive oil and sea salt all over it.
Now it's ready to bake!  I wrapped it in aluminum foil and baked it in the oven at 400 for about 2 hours.  Yeah, that's a huge turnip!  Then we sliced it in half crosswise and scooped out the insides, and mashed those up with grated cheddar, chopped up bacon, chives, and heavy cream.




The mashed turnip was then put back into the shells and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes.



We saved some of the cheese, bacon and chives for topping, plus sour cream.



We put the toppings (except the sour cream) on the turnip halves, and put them back in the oven on broil for about 5 minutes.  Each half was topped with sour cream, and finally ready to eat!



Can I just say YUMMMMM!?!?!  I am a huge fan of twice baked potatoes, but I love turnips and this was excellent.  And it was so big, I could only eat half of a half for dinner, and I'm pretty excited to eat the other half for lunch!  Turnips do have a stronger flavor than potatoes, which is one of the reasons I like them, but some people may need to get used to it at first.  Definitely consider adding turnips to your diet, as they are high in fiber, vitamin C, and flavonoids (and other good stuff), and low in calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment