Monday, October 25, 2010

Sauteed okra, tomatoes and onions

I finally attacked the large bag of okra I got in last week's CSA bag.  I'm still trying to avoid frying it, so I decided to saute / steam it tonight.  I chopped up a medium onion and added that to a hot skillet with olive oil, along with 3 cloves of minced garlic.  I sauteed the onion and garlic for a few minutes until the onion was turning soft and it was all coated in oil.  Meanwhile I chopped up 1 1/2 tomatoes, and cut the stem and bottom tips off the okra.  I left the "cap" on the okra, just chopped the stem part off.  I added the tomatoes to the skillet for about a minute and mixed it all in with the onions and let some of the juices start to come out, then I added the okra.  I picked out some random spices and added them at this point - celery seed, cumin, cayenne pepper (just a dash), salt, pepper, and my secret ingredient - ginger.  I tossed the okra and spices in with the onions and tomatoes, lowered the heat, and simmered it covered for 10-15 minutes until the okra was done.  I stirred it around a few times during the simmer.  After cooking I added a little more salt and pepper, then squeezed fresh lemon juice on the top.  Delish!  The okra was cooked but still crunchy, no "okra slime", and no mushiness.  I will add more spices next time, I was a little hesitant since I wasn't sure how they would mix, but it was still very flavorful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment