Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sauteed radishes and greens

Last night I tried something very different for me, and it was all from CSA veggies.  I have too many radishes to use sliced up in salads, so I looked up any other ways to eat them, and found that you can saute them!  I also have a ton of arugula from the past couple weeks and it's a bit strong for me to use much in my salads, so I wanted to try sauteing that as well.

I started by heating up some olive oil in a skillet, then added 3 cloves of minced garlic, and half of a large onion, diced.  I sauteed this until the garlic was nice and brown and the onions were getting soft.  Then I added radish slices - last week I got a large radish so this was all I needed, but if using smaller radishes, then probably 2 would be needed.  I sliced the radish into fairly thin slices, but not super thin, maybe a little thicker than you would use in a salad, and I did not peel it.  I added the slices and sauteed on each side for 2-3 minutes.  Then I added a large handful of arugula and mustard greens and some salt and pepper, and lowered the temperature and put the lid on.  I only cut the bigger greens into smaller pieces, but left them mostly whole.  I let it simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes, stirring it around only once, until the greens were nice and wilted.  I let it cook for another couple of minutes with the lid off to relieve some of the moisture, added more salt and pepper, and that was it!




Incidentally, I used this as a side dish with a piece of salmon, and it went great together.  I squeezed some fresh lemon on the salmon so I went ahead and put a little on the veggies and that tasted pretty good as well.  I'm considering adding some type of spice the next time, as I will definitely be making this again.  Great flavor and lots of nutrition!  I found out that radishes have a good amount of fiber and vitamin C, and of course the greens have lots of vitamins A and K.  I just have to watch the amount of salt I use, and really you don't need to add much because it has so much flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment