Friday, October 15, 2010

Spaghetti squash

I decided to have the spaghetti squash I got in my CSA bag for lunch today.  It helps that I was working from home :-)  I poked a bunch of holes in the squash, then baked it in the oven for about 50 minutes.  It's a fairly small squash, so for bigger ones you should cook a bit longer.  I tested it was done by putting a sharp knife all the way through and it was nice and soft.  The house sure smelled good too!  After it was baked I cut it in half (across the "equator") and used a fork to scoop out the spaghetti strands.  I had to hold it with a hot pad because it was obviously quite hot after nearly an hour in the oven.  This is what the insides looked like when I removed them with a fork:




Looks like spaghetti right?  While the squash was cooking I made a little sauce.  I heated some olive oil in a skillet and put in some minced garlic, then added chopped tomato and onion.  It cooked for 10 minutes or so until the onions were soft.  Good lunch!



This squash might look like spaghetti, but it still tastes like squash.  I will definitely have this again!  This could be a fun way to get kids to eat a veggie like squash too, just tell them it's spaghetti!  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment